Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Visual C#

This week we are beginning our adventures in becoming familiar with C# (C Sharp) programming. I say familiar because we are shown an example and then we replicate the example for practice. I don't feel like I am really "learning" the programming language. I understand, of course, there is little time to accomplish that task. There was a homework assignment given. This was challenging. All of the tools were not necessarily given or learned to complete the assignment. With some effort and creativity I was able to complete the first two of four assignments. Once you become familiar with the language, the programming seems quite simple and friendly to use.

Reflecting as a student and thinking as if I was a teacher, I wonder how often I send my students off with an assignment with the assumption that they have the prior knowledge necessary to complete the new task. This is what I felt when trying to complete the assignments. It was a powerful experience that will be used to remind myself to consider what it is that I am asking students to do on an independant basis, especially when considering the number of school-dependant students there are in my student population.

The afternoon sessions are frustrating. I am not feeling like it is a constructive use of time. Honestly, it feels like we are being coddled. I'm not sure if the idea of "mentors" is a good one. Some are helpful and only assist when asked, others are a bit overbearing and intrusive.

Yesterday we began working on our PowerPoint presentation. We completed the task in short order because we have been compiling peices of the project as we have gone along. I think we are pretty much ready to role.

Our breakout session with our research group was basically non-productive. I want to start woking on my project, but the group wants to keep trying to define everything. What are the groups, who is in the groups, what are we going to do, how is it going to transfer to our class, etc., etc., etc. The group dynmaics are frustrating, people running over others attempts to have conversation, people attmepting to provide all the answers, many, many frustrated participants. Personally, I have a group and an approved idea that I would like to spend my time developing and producing. I am close to the point that I will not be sitting with my group joust so that I can proceed. We have lots of work to do and lots of wasted time that is enfringing on our efforts. Unfortunatly, this seems to be the norm when woking with groups of teachers. In our group's case there are many particiants who want to move forward, do a good job, and produce something meaningful and worthwhile. There simply seems to be a lack of direction and information. What is made available is vauge, perhaps intentionally. I think back to other programs that I have participated and remind myself to think of a useful phrase: "trust the process." I will trust and will reflect again at the conclusion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi John

Yesterday the intention was to begin individually defining our content, that is, the big ideas and concepts that "allow" us to be in the spirit of the standards and justify the time spent on a longer set of activities.

What have you selected from the research to be the basis for your curricular activities?

I think you should separate from the group and begin working individually during the afternoon time. These last days will be spent primarily on that, so you can choose to collaborate or choose not to.